Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Wednesday 31 December 2014

The Eve of a New Year

Here it is!  It's the end of 2014.   I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted.   It's been a year full of wonderful moments, and also loads of challenges.   The best thing ever was adopting Buddy the Border Collie.  He joined our family on Jan 7th.  What a lot of love he's added to our household.  I'm still basking in the glow from receiving armloads of awards & ribbons with the Prairies show.  I'm still proudly exhausted from building a new studio classroom with my family.  My children have my old space back as their craft room, so they are thrilled.  I learned how to drywall this year.  I also learned how to curate.  Well... I am still learning of course.   I spent many enjoyable moments doing public demos and fibre art with children, and I spent weeks and weeks in utter distress because of a messy, studio-less existence while undergoing home renovations.  I feel like I completely missed out on the summer because of that, however the reward of a big bright new space with walls and doors is beyond my wildest dreams.  The few classes I've held so far have been terrific.  I love my new space.  Hard work has certainly paid off.


I travelled around Southern Saskatchewan and Alberta running classes and meeting such wonderful new people, from 'Dog River' to St. Albert. (A shout out to the fine folks in and around Roulleau / Weyburn!)  I was fortunate to secure gallery representation with the MacKenzie Art Gallery in Regina, and enjoyed a artist's showcase at Handmade House during the height of tourist season. 

Sounds all great, right? 

I haven't told you everything.  We have spent Thanksgiving through to Christmas having open houses in an attempt to sell our home.   We decided this was the right thing in an effort to downsize and relieve financial strain.  Once the decision was made, I grieved.  I actually felt like I died a little inside.  I had a lot of my friends and colleagues rooting for me to be able to keep my brand new studio.  Honestly, I think a few of them grieved for me too.  What serendipity for the year to wrap up with my first Arts Board grant from the province.   Phenomenal timing. 


We are now choosing to stay in our home and press on with business as usual.  We will all have to work a little harder, but also be more resourceful.  My three kids are thrilled to not have to change schools.   I'm happy to dig into my space for REAL now and make all these artful ideas in my head a reality.  I will call some classes in February for those of you who are so patiently waiting.  However, for the first month of the year I will need to focus on new work and getting the curated show together.  It's been really nice to connect with the artists whose pieces will be part of the show.   It's a very special exhibit indeed.  My challenge now is to create an impactful curatorial statement that will give the show it's proper and meaningful description. 

Thank you to everyone who supported me this year including the Saskatchewan Arts Board!   Thanks to those of you for all the ongoing commissions and invitations world wide.  2015 is certainly going to be something else!   Love and good wishes to you all in the coming new year.  xo


12 comments:

Patti said...

It really has been a roller coaster year. Hoping 2015 is a little less roller and a little more coast. Wishing you all the best too!

Terri said...

I'm so glad you are going to stay in your home... mostly because I just moved, and wouldn't wish that on anyone else. So glad you get to keep your studio.
I've seen some artists offer classes online. (Sooner or later the local class takers will be used up.) Check out Alisa Burke (sp?) on my blog list. She does classes online. It couldn't hurt.
Hugs and Happy New Year

Kate said...

All the best for 2015, Monika!

Margaret said...

Again, a pleasure to speak with you yesterday, Monika. Hope I did your event justice over on the SAQA Western Canada blog. So pleased you don't have to move and abandon that new studio space. Best wishes for creativity, health and happiness in 2015!

Jeito Mineiro de Ser said...

Desejo muita saúde e realizações!
Uau que você vai manter o novo estúdio!
Minha torcida para você e sua família!
Ótimo 2015!
Um abraço!

I wish good health and achievements! Wow you will keep the new studio!
My fans for you and your family!
Great 2015!
Hugs!

elle said...

oooh! That was a cliff hanger! I am finding I am going to have to use my resources and spend less on new ones. But that's good. Makes for more creativity! You'll sail into 2015 knowing you only can do your best, not more. So here's hoping you have a great year.

HollyM said...

I've chosen a word for 2015--focus which means I will also try to more mindful of the moment and mindful of my resources. I had many challenges in 2014 as well as creative successes.
I'm glad you are staing in your home. Im sure it will prove to be a good decision for you and your family.
Your New Years family activities looked fun.
Happy New Year!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Happy New Year Monika! I am so happy for you that you get to stay in your beautiful new studio.
All the best for 2015!

Judy Wood said...

I'm so glad to hear that you will be staying in your home with the studio you worked so hard to create. I felt very badly when I heard that having to leave that hard-earned space might be a necessity. Onwards and upwards!

Lin said...

Gorgeous photos Monika. I am so, so pleased for you that you are able to stay in your home - and make proper use of that beautiful studio space that you have created. I an sure that 2015 is going to be a wonderful year for you. xx

Jeane said...

Happy New Year Monikas! I am so happy for you that you can remain in your present home with your beautiful studio. You are my morning coffee every day and I love seeing all the beautiful work you do. You are a real inspiration.

giaonhanquocte said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt hiện nay.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *