Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Lichen Sorbello

I'm liking the Sorbello knots.  Margot taught me them a couple years ago.  I believe she learned them Jan Beaney.  We enjoy drooling over her work.  I'm putting together a project that is predominantly hand stitching, and tried a little impressionistic / abstrct work this weekend.  I am TERRIBLE at abstract, but I am trying.  I think I did pretty well at pulling this one off.


You might be thinking, 'whaaaa???'.  It's based on all the beautiful colors I photographed on one of the huge rocks at the shore of my mom's home.


I'm displaying the art with vertical lines, so people don't assume it's a landscape.  I love all the lichen on the blue. That photo is so interesting to me.  I started with some tyvek from Margot and painted it with Heather's favorite Luminiere paints.  I fused it like Jan Beaney, and melted some of it away to reveal the cloth underneath.  I did it at night with a candle in my studio.  (Not recommended!  lol.  All is well.)


Then I layered some dyed cheesecloth and stitched and stitched and stitched.  I stitched on the stitches.  I layered thick and thin, lights and darks.  Now i can't stop photographing it.  : )  I keep enjoying little parts of it as much as the whole.  It's abstract, but it's not accidental art.  It's full of intentionally placed stitches.


If you would like to learn the Sorbello knot, I made up a tutorial a long time ago (excuse the poor photography).  ; )  Click here - Saturday Stitches / Sorbello Knot Tutorial

linking to The Needle & Thread Network for WIP Wednsday.  **ps.  I am still looking for a volunteer to take on the 'Feature Friday' hostessing once or twice a month.  email me if you are a blogger who would like to do this for a little bit.  Thanks!  Have a great week,

8 comments:

HollyM said...

I love this! All the textures and color is wonderful. I have a hard time with it too but would like to do more.
No wonder you're loving all the little areas. It must be lovely in real life!

Mystic Quilter said...

Can't really add more than Holly above - colours and texture are beautiful.

Mary Ann Tate said...

I love the colours and all the textures built up against the blue...really lovely:)

Ellie said...

I've not been over to your blog to visit for such long time. Your work is just as lovely as usual I see. I love this piece and the picture is lovely too. :))

Angela said...

Beautiful work and so inspiring!

Margaret said...

Very effective, Monika! I'm thinking though...the piece looks a bit too striated, compared to the photo. You might think about using some sort of tiny stitches (seed? mini Sorbello?) scattered between the vertical lines to unify it a bit more...

Just a thought! :-) I love the texture you've created!

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

I totally agree! I get excited and post things... then discover what to add the next day. Lol :)

Regina said...

A really interesting piece, I love lichens and you captured them very well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *