Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Tuesday 9 October 2012

And Then Came Fall

I took a complete detour on that last piece.  I was a little nervous about the trees, and found myself quite smitten by some of the Cranberry Flats photos from last week.  They are very 'fall'.  The grass is yellow and leaves are orange and ochre.  One photo in particular was fairly boring, but I figured it would be pretty enough to stitch.  So... away I went!


Free motion stitching... in this piece, it seemed to go on forever.  There are silvery bushed below the horizon, and trees along the top.  W was surprised that the more I looked, the more colors I saw.  There grasses were yellow, wheat, ochre, lime, peach, rust...  and it was the same in the tree tops.


This suddenly became much less boring than I had anticipated!  I also feel less afraid of trees and will be confident to go back to the commission.  Here it is so far... 


I've begun hand stitching.  See the rusty leaves in the bushes?  In the original scene there were loads of colorful rose bushes - tufts of low shrubby wild roses all over the foreground, full of fruit with very colorful autunm leaves!  I'm excited with how full of texture this will be when it's done.  Can you see the texture develop in this next photo?  ...something about the way the light hits it...


I'm linking to The Needle & Thread Network.  : )


18 comments:

Lynette said...

These always amaze me. :) Gorgeous, gorgeous fall scene!

barbara woods said...

i love your view out your hotel window

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful already :).
Stay inspired!

Christie describeHappy said...

Oh, wow!!! Wow, wow, wow. I really think it's fab that you are getting comfortable with trees. Your piece is just wonderful! Can't wait to see this one with all the hand stitching in place!

rtquilter said...

Monika, this is superb! REALLY beautiful. I love the textures you have achieved. Well done

HollyM said...

The composition is perfect, the trees are lovely and finding all the bits of color will add to it!
Boy do I wish I lived close enough to get lessons!

Mary Ann Tate said...

Gorgeous...really lovely:)

Ariane said...

Wow!! It's looking amazing!!!

What Comes Next? said...

gorgeous!

Lori said...

I love all of your pieces, I think this may be your best one yet! fabulous :)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Hi Monika...sorry I haven't been around much lately. I do look; just haven't been leaving many comments as my desktop was giving me problems...your work is simply gorgeous!!I love the detail in this piece

Linda said...

So gorgeous! I love it so much.

Dahn said...

Love, love, love this piece. And its larger than what you normally work in, right? I sometimes run a big zigzag stitch across the background to fill it up faster..

Sam said...

So awesome.

Threadpainter said...

So,so lovely ! Great depth and texture ... fantastic !

In stitches and seams said...

I just love how you get all the details in your work and the depth ...... just awsome Monika
in stitches

In stitches and seams said...

I just love how you get all the details in your work and the depth ...... just awsome Monika
in stitches

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

Fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *